Ever wondered what the present education system is doing to the students? well it is strangling Creativity & Innovation. The whole process has become merciless with education now becoming a trade practice. High fees, tuitions, cumbersome ever expanding syllabus, poorly trained teachers, race for securing top grades,stress,early burnout, shortage of white collared jobs, to sum it up, immense frustration. Education & Learning has stopped becoming a pursuit worth chasing or aspiring for.
Multiple factors are at play to get a good education. Most of the schools can make a child literate (capable of completing the three R’s ,viz Reading – Riting – ( A) Rithmetic) but to be truly educated is a different concept altogether. The factors that are at play to be educated ( in random order) :-
- Family Background
- The School & its Infrastructure
- Standard of Teachers ( how is knowledge being imparted)
- Self Study( reading – writing – analysing)
- Peer Group
- Willingnesss to Learn
- Vision of the Principal
- Available Distractions & Ability to Cope( with them)- TV, Gaming,Chatting,Internet
- Sports & Health
- Dietary habits ( overeating will result in sluggishness)
- Discipline & Focus ( regularity)
- Humility ( we are all points on the learning curve)
Educated Person – is one who is literate ( of course) & understands the purpose of creation. His mind & intelligence are in his control,the society can trust him & he is a person of character,gentle , dutiful & respectful towards everyone. A certain sense of responsibility gets attached to being educated. Skills & learning are utilized or applied for the benefit of people.
Literate Person- a person who can read & write. One is generally literate by first grade or first standard but can the child be called educated ? its about acquiring skills & learning. Literacy does not develop finer reasoning & analytical skills.Literate person may not be educated but vice versa is always true ie educated person will always be literate.
Mostly an educated person can contribute in the process of Creativity & Innovation in Schools & later ? A proposed method :-
- LKG to Grade 3 – no formal teaching,only alphabets, & numerics. Lots of visuals in one book highlighting important aspects of our country India, civic sense, hygiene, moral science,respect for elders, learning through song & dance, love for country & practical learning with usage of all five senses. Difference between hearing & listening.
- Grade 4 to Grade 8 – focussed curriculum,reduced syllabus,progressive learning,five day week, interest in maths to be aroused by innovative techniques rather than boring lectures, laughter & fun filled learning. Music lessons (piano/violin / wind instruments) mandatory as a class thrice a week. No regimentation or school uniform on Friday’s ( before commencement of weekend)
- Grade 9 to Grade 10 – focus on concepts, enhanced reading,writing, speaking & analytical skills, brain storming open sessions on certain topics, do not tolerate plagiarism, all projects to be done in class ( across one full day), industrial visits,guest lectures,games & sports,CCA .
- Grade 11 to Grade 12 – special streams viz Science, Humanities, Commerce etc. Practice method explained in previos blog ( Advanced Teaching Methods),discuss innovations done by technically advanced countries everyday, Teachers to act as facilitators, encourage original thought process, make syndicates /study groups, encourage students to learn from peers even off school hours,visit to school by scientists, innovators, thinkers.
Some quality suggestions :-
- Never ask a child to give a definition by rote ( word to word),encourage synonyms & interplay of words to get the message across.
- Ruthlessly cut out any hint of Plagiarism in a project or essay.
- Encourage precise & concise writing over verbosity.
- Design innovative approaches to make Maths & Physics interesting.
- Screen a science related movie once a month for standard 8 upwards & discuss in open forum.
- Develop enquiry,questions,doubts, a scientific temperament in schools & allow students to come up with their own theories, how so ever impractical. Then ask peers to recommend how to implement or put it to scientific scrutiny.
- Create a prestgious reward mechanism for the best theory /project in school.
- A scientific innovation/discovery/research any where in the world mentioned in the Newspaper/Press/TV/ Internet, should be announced in morning assembly.
Schools can act as incubation centres for preparing a ready crop of Creative & Innovative persons with a scientific temper by following the a/m methods.
Next blog on how to develop creative thinking follows !!